Thursday, July 14, 2016

Using Tsukineko inks to fabric paint daisies

52 Week UFO Challenge - Project #32

A couple years ago Nellie and I took a surface design course with Elaine Quehl and one of the supplies we learned to use was Tsukineko Inks. These inks are so amazing to work with and one of the coolest things about them is how you can dilute them with aloe vera gel to make different shades of the same colour.

I used these inks to paint these daisies on white cotton fabric soon after taking Elaine's class, but then it ended up in my UFO pile.



I decided to make a wall hanging out of it and set to work picking borders.

Border option 1

Border option 2

Border option 3
I settled on this fabric combination of a purple batik outer border and a fuchsia inner border.


Once the borders were on, I mounted it on my Gammill and got to work quilting it.




A matching fuchsia binding and a hanging sleeve on the back finished the wall hanging off quite nicely!! Now that I've finished this piece off, I can't wait to do some more fabric painting with my Tsukineko Inks!!


Project #32 in my 52 week UFO Challenge is complete! What will I finish off next???

No comments: