Sunday, September 27, 2015

Quilting straight lines

Do you ever find yourself procrastinating with a project that you aren't sure how to finish? This happens to me too, and this month I had one that I've been postponing for WEEKS!!

Sometimes with a customer quilt I have to look at it for a few days before I get inspired by an idea for the quilting. With THIS quilt the customer specified that she wanted straight lines quilted in two of the borders, so I just had to decide how to quilt the third border and the centre of the quilt. 
I came up with some ideas, but even though I knew how I would quilt it, I STILL kept finding other things to do first. My customer went on vacation for 3 weeks and I knew she would be home soon, so this week I FINALLY got it loaded on the machine, took a deep breath and started to quilt!!

It was the straight lines that were terrifying me - if they are done right, they look great, but if things aren't lined up perfectly, it could go terribly wrong!!

Once I got started, I settled into a good rhythm. My machine has vertical and horizontal locks, so I could easily quilt the straight lines in the pieced border, and I decided to mimic the log cabin design in the blocks to make a square spiral quilting design.


The outer border had a bold design, that I decided to follow with a freehand quilting design, the only lines that weren't straight.


The long straight quilting in the black border was impossible to quilt on my Gammill, so I decided to take it off and quilt it on my home machine with a walking foot.



The finished quilt is quite stunning and the back looks amazing with all of the straight line quilting!!







1 comment:

chele said...

Love the straight lines. It truly adds a lot to the quilt's design.