Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Upcycle an altoids tin into a sewing kit

My son has a thing for Altoids - you know those "Curiously Strong Mints" that come in the cute hinged tins.


As a result, he has quite the collection of tins in his bedroom so one night while I was on Pinterest I researched things that you could do with these tins. I have a Pinterest Board called "Altoid Tins" - check it out to see all of the ideas that are there. 

Since I was going on vacation and taking along a sewing project, the pins that showed sewing kits were the ones that I found the most interesting. 

First, I used Modge Podge to cover the inside and outsides of the tin with scrapbooking papers. I added a few co-ordinating buttons to the top of the tin.


Once the Modge Podge was dry, I tightly rolled up a small piece of batting and covered it with a piece of fabric. I used my hot glue gun to glue it to the inside of the tin.


Next, I found a magnet and glued it to the inside of the lid. I found some bobbins and wound them with Decobob thread and added them and some pins to the inside of the tin. Luckily I had a tiny set of scissors that I had bought at a rummage sale at our guild last year and they fit inside perfectly!



Paper Crafts Supplies

No comments: