Sunday, January 12, 2014

My "Mystery Quilt" #4 - flying geese

OK - I have to say that I LOVE making flying geese using the Accuquilt cutter. There is no marking of the back of the squares and no waste of fabric!! I ran out of time at the retreat, so I had to finish making the flying geese at home in between working and celebrating Christmas with my family.
After piecing the centre, I added a gold inner border then decided that I needed to buy a couple more fabrics to add more borders, to make the quilt the right size. I visited Garden Thyme Quilts and Gifts one day when we were in Kingston and found a nice dark orange and nice dark brown that would work well with the centre fabrics. I decided to add an inner border of the brown before my flying geese border in order to help tie in the dark brown outer border.
After adding these inner borders, I realized that I did not have enough flying geese units to go all the way around the quilt, so I bordered the flying geese with the dark orange and added blocks of the same fabric to the ends of the flying geese to make the borders the right size.


No comments: