Thursday, June 2, 2016

Using up leftovers to make a baby quilt

52 Week UFO Challenge - Project #26 - Leftover braid baby quilt

Last year I made this Braided Lap Quilt which was featured in the Fall 2015 issue of A Needle Pulling Thread Magazine. This quilt was super easy to make because I used my Accuquilt Chisel Die  to cut all of the pieces for the braids. 




The ONLY problem I have when I'm using my Accuquilt Studio Cutter is that it's really easy to cut too many pieces!! As a result, I often have shapes left over and I HATE to throw them out. 

So, once I had finished this quilt, I had one section of braid left over. I set it aside and once I started my 52 Week UFO Challenge, it was added to the list.

I worked on this quilt top while I was at Quilt Retreat in February. The first thing I did was to sew two borders down the sides of the braid. Then I sewed a large piece of butterfly fabric to the right side and a narrower strip of the same fabric to the left side.


Then I cut this long piece into two sections about 1/3 of the way from one end and sewed five strips of fabric in between the two sections.


I then machine quilted it using large modern flowers all over the top.



The quilt turned out quite pretty AND one of my coworkers has bought it to give as a baby shower gift. I'm sure the baby girl who gets it, will enjoy it for years to come.

Project #26  in my 52 Week UFO Challenge is finished!!

No comments: