Friday, May 6, 2016

Felted Wool iPad tote

52 Week UFO Challenge - Project #24 - stitching sample made into an iPad tote


This little stitching sample has been sitting in my sewing room for almost two years!! I just wasn't sure what to use it for, but then I got inspired!! Why not attach it to larger felted wool pieces and make it into a tote bag?


The edges weren't even, so the first thing I did was to trim all four edges even with the outside border stitching.


Next I found some royal blue felted wool (which was once a wool coat that I scored at Goodwill) and I cut two rectangles that would be big enough to house my iPad. I machine stitched my embroidery sample to one of these pieces. And then turned over the top edge of each piece and machine top stitched each of them. This gave the open edges a nice finish.


Next, I auditioned different straps. I had a few different ones to pick from but decided on the cream coloured heavy cord.



To attach the cording to the bag I cut a small piece of wool and sewed this, with the end of the cord tucked inside, to the top edge of the back of the bag. By sewing all around the edges of this piece of wool mu cording was secured to the bag and the end wouldn't unravel.


The next step was to sew the front and the back of the bag together. I just topstitched along the sides and bottom and - VOILĂ€ - the felted wool iPad tote bag was done. Now I can carry my iPad in style - or - use it for a gift for a friend!

The completed iPad tote with the embroidery  front.

No comments: