Saturday, July 19, 2008

What to make with leftovers

I HATE to throw away my scraps of fabric, so I have started a system where I cut all of the leftovers from a project into either 2 1/2" squares, 3" squares, 4" squares or assorted widths of narrower strips. I keep each of these different sizes in their own Rubbermaid bin marked with the size on the end. Someday, when I don't have anything else to do, I will make these into scrap quilts! I have used the strips many times to make strip pieced table runners and place mats - I've taught this technique many times at Taylor Sewing Centre.

But, I recently made a bed sized quilt using fat quarters and when I was done I had a whole stack of little strips of fabric that were different widths and 6" long. Since these were all co-ordinating fabrics I knew that I should keep them aside and make something specific out of them. They sat on my cutting table for months until one day when I decided that I needed a new table runner for my living room coffee table. Here is what I came up with:


I pieced the strips together into blocks, assembled the blocks into the table runner, then appliqued wool flowers on top. It still needs to be quilted, but I will have it done soon.
I actually had enough strips to make two different versions - the second one, which has wool stars all over it, will be donated to my Guild's "Little Quilt Auction" in November.

No comments: