Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Using left over tumbler blocks to make a table runner

52 Week UFO Challenge - Project #33

I have made quite a few projects using my Accuquilt Tumbler Dies. I have both the 3 1/2" and 6" size dies and find that they are AWESOME for making large and small projects. 

I used the larger die to make the Tumbling Waters quilt for A Needle Pulling Thread magazine and (just like always) used my die cutter to cut up the leftover fabric into extra pieces. 

A Needle Pulling Thread - Fall 2015
I used some of these small tumbler shapes to make a pillow - Project #27 in my 52 Week UFO Challenge.  But I still had many more left over, so I randomly sewed them together into four rows of 15 tumblers each. I then sewed these rows together and trimmed the ends of the table runner straight. I popped it onto my Gammill and quilted it with gentle curves from end to end. This quilting design is fast and easy to do - even with a walking foot on your home machine!!


After trimming off the excess backing and batting I got out my binding box and found one that would work perfectly. If you are looking for tips on tidying up (and using) extra binding strips check out my blog post on March 22nd.


Picking a binding

Here it is - the finished table runner. Doesn't that make you think of tropical waters!! Project #33 is done AND I've finally used up ALL of those tumbler blocks!!



No comments: