Wednesday, March 16, 2016

52 Week UFO Challenge - Project #15 - Stencilled Leaf Wall Hanging

Stencilled Leaves with Shiva Paintsticks

Over a year ago, Nellie and I took a surface design course with Elaine Quehl. We learned lots of techniques, one of which was using freezer paper stencils with Shiva Paintsticks

My UFO featuring Shiva Paintsticks stencilling.
We traced the stencils from Elaine's patterns and then cut them with X-acto knives. Using a stencilling brush, I filled in the stencils with both gold and green painsticks, blending them in the middle.
Close up of one leaf. 
 I trimmed the stencilled piece first and then picked fabrics for the inner border and outer border.

Once the borders were on it was time to mount it on the Gammill for quilting.

Quilt top ready for quilting.
 Here is a close-up of some of the quilting on the leaves. I outlined each of the leaves and then did some nested tear drops in the background.

Close-up of quilting
Here is the finished wall hanging. Project #15 is all finished!


Unfortunately, when I was looking for fabrics for the borders for the quilt I discovered MORE unfinished objects. Now my total is up to 49!! Good thing I have been working away at these projects faster than I first planned - 15 projects in 2 1/2 months is pretty good!!


No comments: