Saturday, April 2, 2016

52 Week UFO Challenge - Project #19 - Nautical Baby Quilt

Back before Christmas a co-worker commissioned me to make a baby quilt for her best friend, She knew that the nursery was going to be decorated with a nautical theme, so she asked if I could make the quilt to match. I looked EVERYWHERE for jeuvenile nautical fabric and found nothing!! Finally I found a white/navy/red/medium blue striped fabric that I thought would work (if only for the backing). It couldn't decide what to do with it until one day I was looking on Pinterest and saw a sailboat block - I figured out how the block was assembled and then got to work cutting!!

I found some co-ordinating fabrics in my stash and then used my Accuquilt Studio Cutter and the 3" Half Square Triangle Die to cut them into triangles for the sails on the boats.


For each boat block I sewed four coloured triangles to four white triangles as shown.


I cut 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" strips of the white fabric and sewed one to each side of the sail sections.


Used my Frixion pen to mark a line on the back of two white 3 1/2" squares and then aligned these onto one 3 1/2" x 12 1/2" rectangle of the striped fabric, right sides together.



I then sewed along the drawn line and then cut off the excess fabric. 

I then pressed the unit and sewed it to the bottom of the sail section and then sewed a 3 1/2" x 12 1/2" rectangle to the bottom of the block to create the water.


I sewed these four sailboat blocks together in a row and then added stripes of the other fabrics in varying widths.


My friend, the new mom and baby Colton all loved the quilt and so did I. Project #18 checked off my list!! Here is Colton and his new quilt. What a little cutie!!



No comments: